Friday, February 13, 2009

13/02/09

21-15-9:

*KB swings @ 24kg
*Burpies

Time: 6:49

Not a fantastic effort, but was able to push well to the end thanks to some shouting from Zane.

Whenever we work with 24kg kettle bells, there is a bit of a scramble to get one of the few there are of that weight. I got one this time, but in future will grab something lighter.

I think that my desire to do workouts as Rx'd is limiting my progress, rather than encouraging it. The bar set by the weight prescriptions for the average CrossFit workout is, I suggest, quite high. Indeed, the modality aims for the development of elite fitness and thus the average workout will not be for the average individual.

Now, while I have made good progress since beginning with CrossFit, I still have a long long way to go. I can't do more than 3 kipping pull-ups in a row, my max-reps for push-ups is somewhere around 20, and and attempts after that drop to around 10. And in this workout, I really struggled with the weight of the bell. Not struggled to do it, but struggled to maintain intensity and form - and I believe that more benefit it to be derived from these than from simply moving heavier weights.

Unless I'm mistaken, metabolic conditioning depends on intensity - feelings of gasping breathlessness, lactic acid burn, and being close to hurling are what we're aiming for. But I find that in most situations, doing workouts at Rx prevents me from acheiving such a state, and I'm sure this is a block to my progress.

This is to say nothing of the injury risk associated with poor form, and there is nothing I would hate more right now than to have to take time off training.

No comments: